Narrabri header
Just Visiting | Narrabri Town Drive | Narrabri Town Walk
Home About Narrabri Calendar Online Kate's Blog Namoi Community Hub New to Town Just Visiting Business Directory Business Index Advertisers Subscribe ENews News Real Estate Employment Weather Major Events Tourism Eating Places Accommodation Agriculture Services Community Narrabri Sport Links Photos Art Contact Us Advertise Here Payments Narrabri Town Walk

 

The Narrabri Creek Town Walk gives you the opportunity to take a stroll along one of the most important elements of Narrabri Shire’s survival - the Narrabri Creek.

This walk meanders through Narrabri’s Sporting Mile, our shady park lands and along the main street, Maitland Street. The complete walk is 4 kilometres and will take approximately 2 hours to complete. In summer it is advisable to wear a hat and sunscreen and take along a cool drink.

 

Historical Background

Major Thomas Mitchell was the first tourist to Narrabri in 1832. European settlers quickly followed Major Mitchell’s expedition and leased vast expanses of land for grazing. Narrabri derives its name from an early property in the district called the Narrabry Run. The most common aboriginal meaning for Narrabri is forked waters. 

The banks of Narrabri Creek provided the site for a reserve for the township of Narrabri, first settled in 1865. This was already the site of an Inn called the Greyhound Inn. Narrabri was proclaimed a town on 20 March 1885.

Today, Narrabri is a prosperous town of 7,000 people and the service centre for local agricultural industries.

 

Points of Interest

The following numbers refer to the corresponding points identified on the brochure map.

  1. The Narrabri Shire Visitors Information Centre, Panton Cottage, was constructed in 1986. It is built from Cypress Pine from the Pilliga Scrub. The Visitors Information Centre is near The Crossing Theatre.
  2. Follow the arrows which are placed on selected trees along the edge of the Creek. Major works have been carried out along the entire length of the Creek to both beautify it and prevent soil erosion. To the left of the Creek are Leitch and Hogan Ovals, used for Cricket and other sports throughout the year.
  3. Collins Park Grandstand was constructed in 1997. The original Grandstand was constructed in about 1900 and was the largest of its type still in use in NSW until 1996 when it burnt to the ground. 
  4. Prior to the construction of the Narrabri Olympic Pool, swimming carnivals were held in Narrabri Creek behind the Collins Park Grandstand.
  5. The sight boards on Collins Park were relocated to their present position from the Sydney Cricket Ground where they were used for major International cricket matches for many years.
  6. Pass the Narrabri Occasional Care Centre where parents can leave their preschool children for short periods.
  7. The Narrabri Olympic Pool was officially opened in 1958 and was the venue for Australian Olympic Medal winner, Nira Stove’s training programs.
  8. After crossing the Violet Street low level Bridge, the walk takes you along the southern side of the Creek. Many a pleasant hour has been spent by people fishing from spots along this bank.
  9. A walk under the Narrabri Creek Bridge leads to Cameron Park, with its shady gum trees. A popular Park for weary travellers to take a break. 
  10. Return to the town over the Narrabri Creek Bridge and either head back to the Visitors Information Centre or do a loop under the Bridge and cross Tibbereena Street at the Zebra Crossing and turn right. Follow Tibbereena Street until you come to Denison Street and turn left.
  11. On the corner of Denison and Maitland Street is Narrabri Shire’s Administration Building, constructed in 1985. 
  12. Turn left and head down Maitland Street. In the block between Denison and Bowen Streets are some of Narrabri’s earliest buildings. The first of these is the Police residence on the right, built in 1878 and designed by architect James Barnet, designer of Sydney’s GPO Building. This building has been restored and is classified by the National Trust.
  13. Falkiners Building, constructed in 1901, was Narrabri’s Cordial Factory famous for its Red Kola. This recipe is still used today. Although not made in Narrabri now, Falkiner’s Cordials are available throughout the town. The ownership of this building has now returned to descendants of the Falkiner family who operate a Nursery and Equipment Hire business.
  14. On the right is another fine Colonial Barnet Building, the Narrabri Court House. Built in 1866 - 88, it cost £ 3,245.
  15. On the corner of Bowen and Maitland Streets is the Clerk of Petty Sessions Office. It was built in 1864 to house Court sittings. The new Court House was built next door 20 years later because the old Court Building was considered to be structurally unsafe.
  16. On the left stands the Lodge Namoi No. 207 Building erected in 1892.
  17. Turn right into Bowen Street. The Old Goal Heritage Centre operated as a Goal until 1982. It was built in 1880, another Barnet designed building. The Goal is now home for Narrabri Historical Records and an associated display.
  18. Opposite the Old Goal is Gallapoli House, built in 1881 as the Narrabri Steam Flour Mill. It now houses offices.
  19. Turn right back into the Main Street. Half way down this block on the left hand side is the old Strand Picture Theatre Building. Where the employment agency now stands was the original open air picture theatre with its canvas deck chairs and unique atmosphere.
  20. On the corner of Maitland and Dewhurst Streets on the left hand side you will notice magnificent stained glass windows in a building now occupied by Max’s Spares.
  21. The Club House Hotel reflects the charm of early colonial buildings. It features a solid cedar staircase and Victorian tiled foyer.
  22. Westpac Bank is a building to note as is the Narrabri Post Office which was built in 1879.
  23. Krohn’s Shoe Store diagonally opposite the Post Office is one of the few buildings in Narrabri’s Main Street to have escaped the changes of the 1960’s and retain it’s beautifully adorned iron lace verandahs.
 

   

From here it’s back to the Visitors Information Centre.



Just Visiting | Narrabri Town Drive | Narrabri Town Walk
 

By Kates On Web, provider of web development and web design services
to Narrabri, Moree, Gunnedah, Wee Waa and beyond.
- Powered by HTTP Suite a product of Ligante